Friday, October 9, 2009

A word on titles...

I'm not really a dilettante, although I think that I would be better at being one that pretty much anything I can see myself doing professionally. And I would say I am more of an aspirational wanderer than an actual one. But, pithy titles that are somewhat accurate are hard to come by, so this is what it is.

I have always had images of myself wandering the wide world and seeing things. I'm not entirely sure how that has worked out for me so far. But, you know, everywhere is somewhere, and if you count the past 6 years of hopeless yearning and malcontented stumbling through the boroughs of New York City, then yes, I would say that I've wandered, a bit anyway.

This image is a statue in a courtyard of a cathedral near Columbia University. It's funny how long I lived in New York City before I found this one, lovely place, that reminds me of the profits of wandering, or rather, finding things when you look for them, even in crowded, whirling, impervious cities.

Every time I visited it, here and there, when I had time, I would think that if someone could manage to construct such a weird thing, and attach it to an important and stoic institution, without anyone noticing that it was a hulking, schizophrenic rendering of half-formed and tortured bronze creatures, then maybe there was hope for living a not totally dull life after all.

My current wandering plans are somewhat farther afield than this. And promise all sorts of new discoveries. But, I guess I will just have to see how these things work out, and when I get to where I am going, decide if I am, indeed, going to bother looking for things, or writing them down, in any way, or if I am going to forget, like everyone else that there are surprises in the corners of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment