Tuesday, November 16, 2010

On a ferry on a gray day

I need a boat, or, at least, to be on one more often.

I was lucky enough to take a boat out to Cocos Island today, surprisingly enough, as part of my job.

There were many lovely parts about the day -- singing school children, freed wildlife, bird songs and jungle and happy biologists.

But I think the best part might have been the moon, and the waves, and the island across the horizon.

It made me want the freedom of a boat, or to be a pirate or a seafarer of some sort.

But, I can't really envision a future in which I have a boat, seeing as I can barely handle a car. And piracy is probably limited to my fantasies of past lives, and/or those movies that I swear I do not watch on repeat.

So maybe I should ride the ferry a lot.




1 comment:

  1. I know so little about the geography of this area. How far away is Coco Island? How big is it? It seems a little strange that the local official honored with presiding over the ceremony was a resort owner, not some political official. Or does the resort own the whole island?

    I wonder what the birds thought of the whole thing. Especially the giant mascot costume.

    ReplyDelete