Monday, June 14, 2010

green things

Before I left New York, I found myself dreaming of green things. For months before I left, I had these dreams about there being a wide open green space next to my apartment, where, sort of like the secret garden, the potential lay for boundless cultivation.

Since coming to Guam, my green fix has been met by the ever-growing incursion of jungle parenthesis, hugging the civilized area with a untamable zeal.

Still, fruits and vegetables are expensive, so I thought that growing things on my very limited veranda space might be a good idea.

So, among the many things I shanghai-ed my parents into buying for me -- sort of, my dad was very insistent about the couch, bed frame, washer/dryer (thanks dad!) -- I had them take me to Home Depot to buy me plants.

Satisfyingly, what started out as packets of seeds and brown dirt in empty boxes has now actually started sprouting, which, despite my limited knowledge of biological processes still seems sort of miraculous.

Behold -- potatoes, basil, tomatoes (none yet), peppers, and all sorts of herbs.




2 comments:

  1. I'm super impressed. In less than a month you have successfully sprouted more plants from seeds than I've ever managed in many a try, including about 300 square feet in my back yard. Perhaps the green dreams were a sign that your true calling is potted plants. I would guess that the tropical climate doesn't hurt either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it's basically sunny 13 hours a day here. it's kinda hard for stuff not to grow.

    ReplyDelete