Sunday, June 27, 2010

40 Days and Nights

To celebrate the triumph of liberating American soldiers over Japanese occupiers in 1944, Guam annually holds a Liberation Carnival on the grounds of the baseball stadium.

Like all events of near-biblical import, the event lasts for 40 days and nights from late June to early August.

Being the intrepid reporter that I am, I was supposed to spend my Saturday evening checking out the carnival food and taking notes. I decided to stay home, however, to make a pie and watch a documentary about West German revolutionaries.

Instead, I decided to go Sunday afternoon, thinking that nothing would be so natural then spending Sunday at the carnival.

Unfortunately, the whole event was shuttered and empty, leaving Heidi and I to explore all alone amongst the abandoned not-at-all-death-trap-seeming carnival rides.























Which was, in retrospect, probably not a bad way to enjoy the whole event.





No comments:

Post a Comment